What Defines Us?
Life’s journey shapes us indelibly. From completing seminary and business graduate degrees to serving four years as a missionary in Asia to living currently in a diverse, urban context, my path as a financial advisor has been different than most.
Pivotal Parts of Spencer’s Journey
- Growing up in East Tennessee and graduating from West High School
- Playing baseball at Auburn University while completing a degree in Materials Engineering
- Growing in faith while at Auburn and deciding to spend a season as a missionary in Asia
- Spending four years teaching English, mentoring underground church leaders, and sharing his faith
- Meeting his wife Emily (a North Carolina Tar Heel!) and getting married while serving in Asia
- Coming back to the U.S. to complete graduate degrees in Boston (MDiv. at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary) and Chapel Hill (MBA at University of North Carolina)
- Gaining a passion in Boston for living and ministering in an urban context, focusing on racial reconciliation in the church and in connecting the homeless to opportunities
- Enjoying helping leaders reflect deeply and grow in character by building an executive coaching program for MBA colleagues at UNC and in serving as Wellspring Group’s Chairman of the Board
- Realizing he enjoyed portfolio construction and financial management while completing consulting projects for UNC’s endowment and an area hedge fund during his MBA studies
- Returning to Knoxville to work with his father and ultimately assume the role of RPS Managing Partner
- Prioritizing time with Emily and his children Andrew, Kaitlyn, and Aimee (born 2008, 2010, 2012 respectively)